Thursday, August 19, 2004

Baseball Immortals

Eric Neel, professional seam-head, threatens the stability of his marriage today by laying bare his unapologetic lust for Albert Pujols.

In his column he refers to Lee Sinnis' site (but inexplicably thanks The Crap Factory), Baseball Immortals, where Mr Sinnis presents his own personal Hall of Fame. Among the players honored by Sinnis but overlooked by Cooperstown is Albert Belle, Ted Simmons, Dale Murphy and Dewey Evans.

Not included? Bobby Grich.

Lee Sinnis, High Five!

8 Comments:

Blogger Seitz said...

I'm pretty sure it's "Sinnins". His around the majors report is free, although I don't usually pay a lot of attention to it. Although if I were going to subscribe to one newsletter, I would subscribe to the Prospect Report.

August 19, 2004 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger The Chronicler said...

There is no doubt in my mind that Bobby Grich belongs. Ron Santo is often considered the Hall's biggest oversight; how does Grich compare to Santo?

Grich's raw totals were hammered by his era and ballparks. Take a look at Grich vs. There is no doubt in my mind that Bobby Grich belongs. Ron Santo is often considered the Hall's biggest oversight; how does Grich compare to Santo?

Grich's raw totals were hammered by his era and ballparks. Take a look at Grich vs. Santo in terms of seasonal notation (per 162 games), including OPS+ and Baseball Prospectus' Equivalent Average:

Player -- AVG -- OBP -- SLG -- HR -- RBI --- R -- OPS+ - EqA
Grich -- 266 -- 371 -- 424 -- 18 -- 70 -- 83 -- 125 -- .295
Santo -- 277 -- 362 -- 464 -- 25 -- 96 -- 82 -- 125 -- .293

I thought it would be interesting to take a few players and apply how much better they were than the averages in their time to the averages of Santo's time. So if Grich's slugging percentage is 10% better than the average in his era, apply that 10% against the average for Santo's. Here we go:

Player ---- AVG OBP SLG
Grich ----- 275 -- 382 -- 441
Sandberg -- 286 -- 341 -- 446
Whitaker -- 281 -- 369 -- 425
Biggio ---- 290 -- 375 -- 417
Alomar ---- 302 -- 369 -- 425

Strictly as a hitter, who's the class of that group? And Grich was a very good defender, too boot. The man deserves respect, and a plaque.

August 19, 2004 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger The Chronicler said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 19, 2004 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger The Chronicler said...

Sorry, it wasn't showing my post then it wouldn't let me delete the duplicate ... Blogger Is an Assclown in this instance ...

August 19, 2004 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Seitz said...

I didn't have an ATM report in my inbox to check. Speaking of which, I haven't received a prospect report in the last couple of day either. Anyway, point is that there is another N near the end.

Chronicler, nice try with the OPS+, but management won't get it unless you put a % next to it.

August 19, 2004 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger The Chronicler said...

I've been meaning to Keltnerize Grich for awhile, but I couldn't do it any better than the above.

August 19, 2004 at 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It pains me to say this, but Welch nailed it. Short of spending a month on a mountain top in a deeply contemplative state, I ain't gettin' much closer to being on board.

But, please, Matt, in the future, smaller words and type slower. I get a little dizzy.

August 19, 2004 at 5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lee sinins is on vacation, so no atm reports for a few more days.

lisa gray
currently blogless cuz the website sever is down.

August 21, 2004 at 2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home