Game 3 - Boston 4, St Louis 1
Even before Suppan offered up the sacrifice to Manny, it didn't look good for the Cards as both Damon and O-Cab hit balls hard to the outfield. When Manny exacted retribution for the low called-strike, it was all up to El Diva.
Martinez looked just awful in the first, his pitches all the fuck over everywhere but the plate, Tek shuffling around like Hasek and suddenly the bases were juiced with one out and Jim Edmonds at the plate. Seitz and I don't agree on much, but we both hate Edmonds with an almost irrational passion. For me it's always been a general vibe, a kind of "God, I bet he's a douche bag" thing that was cemented by an SI piece about his renaissance that began with the writer meeting Edmonds at the hair salon where he got the tips of his bangs frosted or some such nonsense. Seitz and I have never discussed his loathing of JEd, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the unusual career development arc he's enjoyed. Any-hoo... Edmonds' high fly to shallow left sent the Nation into paroxysms of anxiety, the ball hanging like the Sword of Domocles over an entire season. "Manny, this is important, let's see a little pepper in your step... Manny, Walker's tagging... Manny... Manny...? Oh, thank God he got it... Home, Manny, home!" And like that, it was over, a room service one-hop to Varitek, whose positioning forced Walker to travel far and wide to his own funeral.
The second had me concerned that maybe Suppan was going to live up to his "big game pitcher" rep, the same rep I scoffed at yesterday. A brief trip through Mueller/Nixon/Bellhorn had me thinking that the HR to Manny may have been nothing more than just that, a HR to Manny, not at all unusual.
The third inning featured one of the great gaffes in WS history, if this had taken place late in Game 6 or 7, Suppan's name would be mentioned in hushed tones along with Merkle and Buckner and all the GOAT goats. You watched it, I watched it, we all saw it, it was grim. Second and third, no outs, Walker, one of the only guys who's been hitting consistently for the Cards, at the plate. Again it seemed the fates were mocking the Nation as a groundball shot to Bellhorn (1 error in the WS), who threw to Ortiz (the alleged heir apparent to Dick Stuart). Playing at normal depth the Sox had conceded the run, but as Papi recorded the out at first he looked across the diamond and saw Jeff Suppan frozen in his tracks, immobilized by a HoF brain cramp. Instead of jogging home with the tying run, he had stopped twenty feet from 3rd. Papi held the ball high in the air as he ran straight at Suppan until Suppan committed, at which time Papi threw a pea to Mueller (3 errors in Game 2) who made the tag to complete the second non-traditional, run-saving DP of the game. My favorite moment (Bill Simmons is the only other person I've seen mention this) was thirdbase coach Jose Oquendo turning his back in disgust as Suppan stood there helpless and afraid. Really strong. I loved it.
And that was pretty much it for the Cards, their fans had turned against them and Pedro realized that this was to be his night, as he quickly did away with Pujols. After that, Petey retired the next 12 batters, virtually assuring his place in the Boston Sports Pantheon (as if it were ever in doubt) and daring John Heny to let him walk.
My desire for the Sox to let El Diva walk is no secret, nor is my contempt for the NYT's baseball writers, but Harvey Araton wrote a compelling defense of Petey that actually had me thinking twice about the glee I'm going to feel when Phineas T Bluster gives him $30 million for two years. I'm not sure it's possible, but I think Martinez may have been underrated in his prime. Take a look at his career ERA+, Winning % and K/9IP. The guy has been unbelievable. But that doesn't change the fact that he is well past his prime and that typically guys who find that second wind in their careers have really big asses or are fitness nuts. Guys like Martinez tend to fall apart.
Game 4 - Boston @ St Louis
Derek Lowe - Yet another guy making a contract drive on the greatest stage possible, Derek Lowe has had a career that rivals Forrest Whittaker's for its what-the-fuckness. Stolen, along with Varitek, in a deadline deal for Slocumb, blossoms into an all-star closer, flames out, reborn as a twenty-game winning, no-hitting, 1A, only to fall flat on his face this season. His stock was so low coming into the postseason that he had been relegated to the pen. The next thing you know he's the only guy in the ALCS to make two huge starts and now stands poised to lead the Sox to the promised land. My only concern is that he maybe over-rested, running the risk of losing some of that nasty bite that has at times made him near-great.
Jason Marquis - Oh, boy. I feel a bit like Henry VIII staring down his fourth leg of mutton. WHIP? 1.42. BAA? .275. Now imagine this: he's been far worse in the playoffs.
(I can't believe I'm writing this) I think the Red Sox will crowned world champions in about five hours.
Martinez looked just awful in the first, his pitches all the fuck over everywhere but the plate, Tek shuffling around like Hasek and suddenly the bases were juiced with one out and Jim Edmonds at the plate. Seitz and I don't agree on much, but we both hate Edmonds with an almost irrational passion. For me it's always been a general vibe, a kind of "God, I bet he's a douche bag" thing that was cemented by an SI piece about his renaissance that began with the writer meeting Edmonds at the hair salon where he got the tips of his bangs frosted or some such nonsense. Seitz and I have never discussed his loathing of JEd, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the unusual career development arc he's enjoyed. Any-hoo... Edmonds' high fly to shallow left sent the Nation into paroxysms of anxiety, the ball hanging like the Sword of Domocles over an entire season. "Manny, this is important, let's see a little pepper in your step... Manny, Walker's tagging... Manny... Manny...? Oh, thank God he got it... Home, Manny, home!" And like that, it was over, a room service one-hop to Varitek, whose positioning forced Walker to travel far and wide to his own funeral.
The second had me concerned that maybe Suppan was going to live up to his "big game pitcher" rep, the same rep I scoffed at yesterday. A brief trip through Mueller/Nixon/Bellhorn had me thinking that the HR to Manny may have been nothing more than just that, a HR to Manny, not at all unusual.
The third inning featured one of the great gaffes in WS history, if this had taken place late in Game 6 or 7, Suppan's name would be mentioned in hushed tones along with Merkle and Buckner and all the GOAT goats. You watched it, I watched it, we all saw it, it was grim. Second and third, no outs, Walker, one of the only guys who's been hitting consistently for the Cards, at the plate. Again it seemed the fates were mocking the Nation as a groundball shot to Bellhorn (1 error in the WS), who threw to Ortiz (the alleged heir apparent to Dick Stuart). Playing at normal depth the Sox had conceded the run, but as Papi recorded the out at first he looked across the diamond and saw Jeff Suppan frozen in his tracks, immobilized by a HoF brain cramp. Instead of jogging home with the tying run, he had stopped twenty feet from 3rd. Papi held the ball high in the air as he ran straight at Suppan until Suppan committed, at which time Papi threw a pea to Mueller (3 errors in Game 2) who made the tag to complete the second non-traditional, run-saving DP of the game. My favorite moment (Bill Simmons is the only other person I've seen mention this) was thirdbase coach Jose Oquendo turning his back in disgust as Suppan stood there helpless and afraid. Really strong. I loved it.
And that was pretty much it for the Cards, their fans had turned against them and Pedro realized that this was to be his night, as he quickly did away with Pujols. After that, Petey retired the next 12 batters, virtually assuring his place in the Boston Sports Pantheon (as if it were ever in doubt) and daring John Heny to let him walk.
My desire for the Sox to let El Diva walk is no secret, nor is my contempt for the NYT's baseball writers, but Harvey Araton wrote a compelling defense of Petey that actually had me thinking twice about the glee I'm going to feel when Phineas T Bluster gives him $30 million for two years. I'm not sure it's possible, but I think Martinez may have been underrated in his prime. Take a look at his career ERA+, Winning % and K/9IP. The guy has been unbelievable. But that doesn't change the fact that he is well past his prime and that typically guys who find that second wind in their careers have really big asses or are fitness nuts. Guys like Martinez tend to fall apart.
Game 4 - Boston @ St Louis
Derek Lowe - Yet another guy making a contract drive on the greatest stage possible, Derek Lowe has had a career that rivals Forrest Whittaker's for its what-the-fuckness. Stolen, along with Varitek, in a deadline deal for Slocumb, blossoms into an all-star closer, flames out, reborn as a twenty-game winning, no-hitting, 1A, only to fall flat on his face this season. His stock was so low coming into the postseason that he had been relegated to the pen. The next thing you know he's the only guy in the ALCS to make two huge starts and now stands poised to lead the Sox to the promised land. My only concern is that he maybe over-rested, running the risk of losing some of that nasty bite that has at times made him near-great.
Jason Marquis - Oh, boy. I feel a bit like Henry VIII staring down his fourth leg of mutton. WHIP? 1.42. BAA? .275. Now imagine this: he's been far worse in the playoffs.
(I can't believe I'm writing this) I think the Red Sox will crowned world champions in about five hours.
3 Comments:
congratulations!!!!!!!
lisa
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Umm, Congrats, but that will probably sound weird, since you didn't really do anything. Which shouldn't be taken as a shot (it's not meant as one), I just remember finding it weird when people congratulated me when the Angels won. All I did was watch them, so it felt weird to be congratulated for something that other people did.
But in case you figure it out, congratulations.
Post a Comment
<< Home