Welcome to Uglytown
T.J. Simers of the LA Times offers his opinion* on the city of Boston today. Some highlights...
I'd like to go off half-cocked on some rant about sour grapes over the ALDS (although we learn later that T.J. doesn't care about baseball) or make disparraging remarks about how if Boston is the "before" photo, than LA is the "after" photo and that ain't no great shakes, either. But I can't. the fact is, T.J. is right, the city of Boston is ass-ugly.
As you may recall, I went home earlier this summer to meet Matt and Kate for the convention. Sunday found Kate and me walking around the Common and downtown. "You know how cities have mottoes, like 'I Love New York?'" she asked. "Someone should make a t-shirt that says 'Boston: What's with All the Fat, Ugly People' or 'Come to Boston, Where Fashion Takes a Vacation, Too.' I tried to defend my home, my people, suggesting that maybe all the people with the financial means, a demographic that typically is better looking than others, had gotten out of town to avoid the convention crush. After a few days it was undeniable: that town, my town, is just ugly. Selah.
On a related, last night's season premiere of "The Swan" was awesome!
*Use bugmenot name and password latimes18485/latimes18485.
"You couldn't find a much better advertisement for plastic surgery and the need for dramatic makeovers than the first two games of the World Series."
"I'd have to conclude that everyone living in the Boston area who attended the first two games of the World Series is ugly."
"Some fans wore hats or scarves to cover their faces, I presume so they wouldn't scare the children."
I'd like to go off half-cocked on some rant about sour grapes over the ALDS (although we learn later that T.J. doesn't care about baseball) or make disparraging remarks about how if Boston is the "before" photo, than LA is the "after" photo and that ain't no great shakes, either. But I can't. the fact is, T.J. is right, the city of Boston is ass-ugly.
As you may recall, I went home earlier this summer to meet Matt and Kate for the convention. Sunday found Kate and me walking around the Common and downtown. "You know how cities have mottoes, like 'I Love New York?'" she asked. "Someone should make a t-shirt that says 'Boston: What's with All the Fat, Ugly People' or 'Come to Boston, Where Fashion Takes a Vacation, Too.' I tried to defend my home, my people, suggesting that maybe all the people with the financial means, a demographic that typically is better looking than others, had gotten out of town to avoid the convention crush. After a few days it was undeniable: that town, my town, is just ugly. Selah.
On a related, last night's season premiere of "The Swan" was awesome!
*Use bugmenot name and password latimes18485/latimes18485.
2 Comments:
TJ hates U$C, so I prefer to cut him plenty of slack.
I lived in Boston for 4 years, and it's true--it's full of people who are not only unattractive, they're really grumpy. But that's not a bad thing. It meant that anybody who was sort of okay-looking, with a decent disposition, could RULE that city. I was the Queen of Boston when I lived there, and then I moved to San Francisco and was just another girl who worked by the Embarcadero. Boo. --Sara
Post a Comment
<< Home