The Crap Factory
We were up past our bedtime last night so we're a little sleepy today. Two cups off coffee has barely gotten this thing off the ground. Also, I'm on vacation starting at 5 today, so the motivation is nearing an all-time low.
Having said all that, I figured I'd ramp it up slow here at the habitrail, so I headed over to The Hardball Times, where I found Gleeman's piece on Adrian Beltre's break out year, or more specifically the career path he took to arrive here.
His lede:
OK, let's see what the kid's got, maybe he's on to something...
OK, so Beltre's a particularly difficult case...
Hmm... what? I'm sorry, did I miss something? No, I didn't. It turns out that one of Aaron's "favorite things to do" is simply rearrange a player's seasons' stats so they go from worst to best. Aaron, GET OUT OF THE FUCKING HOUSE! GO TALK TO A GIRL, HAVE A BEER, SOMETHING, ANYTHING.
Then he closes with this...
Am I reading this right? Is he trying to elicit sympathy for the Dodgers on the grounds that he might exercise the same right as every other ballplayer on Earth? Including this season, they've paid him $14,140,000 for three average seasons, two not-so-hot seasons and one great season. In the words of the UrClown, "boo-fuckity-hoo."
Having said all that, I figured I'd ramp it up slow here at the habitrail, so I headed over to The Hardball Times, where I found Gleeman's piece on Adrian Beltre's break out year, or more specifically the career path he took to arrive here.
His lede:
"Whenever a player has what I would call a unique career path, one of my favorite things to do is reconstruct their career, year by year, to create what looks like a more normal pattern of development."
OK, let's see what the kid's got, maybe he's on to something...
"Beltre is a very maddening player to get a handle on, because he debuted when he was just 19 years old and actually had his two best seasons (prior to this year) in his first two full seasons, at the ages of 20 and 21."
OK, so Beltre's a particularly difficult case...
"But if you do a little creative mixing and matching, you can actually make Beltre's career resemble a 'normal' one ..."
AGE AVG OBP SLG OPS GPA
19 .215 .278 .369 .647 .217
20 .240 .290 .424 .714 .236
21 .257 .303 .426 .729 .242
22 .265 .310 .411 .721 .242
23 .275 .352 .428 .780 .265
24 .290 .360 .475 .835 .281
25 .334 .380 .646 1.026 .333
Hmm... what? I'm sorry, did I miss something? No, I didn't. It turns out that one of Aaron's "favorite things to do" is simply rearrange a player's seasons' stats so they go from worst to best. Aaron, GET OUT OF THE FUCKING HOUSE! GO TALK TO A GIRL, HAVE A BEER, SOMETHING, ANYTHING.
Then he closes with this...
"If you think trying to figure Beltre's career out is difficult, trying putting yourself in the Dodgers' position. They've now had Beltre in the organization for a decade, including seven years at the major league level, and they've invested millions of dollars, thousands of at-bats and countless hours of coaching in him. They stuck by him through his various struggles and now he's having his best season, and perhaps one of the best seasons ever for a third baseman, all at the age of 25.
And in about two months, he'll be free to choose another team to play for."
Am I reading this right? Is he trying to elicit sympathy for the Dodgers on the grounds that he might exercise the same right as every other ballplayer on Earth? Including this season, they've paid him $14,140,000 for three average seasons, two not-so-hot seasons and one great season. In the words of the UrClown, "boo-fuckity-hoo."
6 Comments:
Seiously, GPA? C'mon now. Oh well, at least he changed what the G stands for.
And Beltre won't be exercising the same right as every other player ballplayer on earth. He'll be exercising the same right as every other non-slave employee on earth. You'll never find me giving any sympathy to the Dodgers.
i understand what AG is doing. it's what gerry hunsicker did before giving hidalgo that silly contract 3 years ago. and i'll bet the dodgers do the zack same thing. only for more years.
lisa gray
astros.mostvaluablenetwork.com
p.s. aaron named some made up stat after himself. please explain how this alone has not gotten him into the assclown hall of fame???!!! what more does the poor boy hafta do?
i understand what AG is doing. it's what gerry hunsicker did before giving hidalgo that silly contract 3 years ago. and i'll bet the dodgers do the zack same thing. only for more years.
lisa gray
astros.mostvaluablenetwork.com
p.s. aaron named some made up stat after himself. please explain how this alone has not gotten him into the assclown hall of fame???!!! what more does the poor boy hafta do?
Lisa, I understand what he's doing. What I don't understand is the value in doing it. What's the point? Why bother? What is it about Beltre's numbers that make it "maddening" to sort the seasons by GPA?
And the fact that it's one of his "favorite things to do"? That's just sad. He's 21, things like "LSD" and "keg stands" and "chasing girls" should be on that list, not "rearranging Adrian Beltre's stats into a linear progression."
Aw, fuck it, he's in.
Oh, I'm sorry, did you say something about Derek Bell?
i don't think aaron's real too big on TALKING to girls. (oooooooooh, that was mean.....)
but i agree. it is really silly to rearrange numbers the way he did and it shows that he absolutely needs to work on talking to girls....
lisa
Post a Comment
<< Home