Mike Sciosia Is Definitely an Assclown
--Mike Scioscia, Angels manager, on his team's offense (Los Angeles Times)
He's fourth in the league in ERA and in the middle of the pack in terms of runs scored and he's capping on the hurlers? And how good does it make you feel if your an Assclowns, er, I mean Angels fan, to hear Sciosia use the term "productive outs?"
"We've been a little soft in some areas, but the bottom line is we've scored enough to support the pitching staff and to support a championship-caliber club. The offense is not the reason why we haven't run away with the division."
--Scioscia
Let's call "run away" up by ten and a half (The Assclown will be happy to explain how we came to chose this number), which would call for an 11 game improvement. James' pythagoean theorem tells us the Anaheim staff would need to have allowed 107 fewer runs, 440, to achieve this. The Dodgers, playing in one of the most hitter-friendly parks in the galaxy and no DH have allowed 459.
We here at BSIAA would like to thank Ryan Wilkins at Baseball Prospectus for bringing these pearls to our attention.
3 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Count the ring, baby.
I'm not really on board with Scioscia's comments, but I think this sort of thinking (and the same thing was done on Baseball Primer) misses the point and gets overblown. Productive outs don't bother me, unless he's talking about them making outs on purpose, and I really haven't seen them sacrificing more than usual. If you're going to make an out anyway, it may as well be productive.
The problem isn't anything that a manager can fix. The problem is that they have no power. What do you want him to do, tell them all to hit more home runs? Hell, Troy Glaus is still 3rd on the team in home runs.
And I don't think he was calling out the pitchers, so much as he was calling out the starting pitchers, who haven't been all that great. They have the best bullpen ERA in the AL, and the eighth best starter ERA.
And quite frankly, I really don't think Scioscia gives a crap about pythagorean record, nor does any manager. Define "runaway" however you want, but I take his comments to mean specfically, by looking at a handful of individual games, they've scored enough runs to win, and have lost because of some aspect of the pitching has broken down. Frankie's blown games against Cleveland and the Chi Sox. Any number of games that Barolo pissed away before they had a chance. Now, if that's the case, he's also leaving out a bunch of games where've they've lost because the offense couldn't come up with the big hit, like against the Tigers, Seattle, and that freaking game against the Brewers.
Hey, Vlad can't play the Red Sox and rip nine RBIs EVERY night.
First comment was removed for spelling. I didn't know Blogger would make a federal case out of it.
Also, you can call me Bill, Matt.
-Seitz
Post a Comment
<< Home