Thursday, August 19, 2004

Now I Feel Safe

I work on the triangle cut by the World Trade Center, the Federal Reserve and the New York Stock Exchange. Ever since G-Dub dipped his family in chum and sent them to the Citigroup building for a cup of coffee, the police presence down here has been high. The streets are crawling with cops in body armor carrying assault rifles and there are checkpoints all over the place where anything from a mini-van on up can get searched.

This morning Fingers and I went for our morning coffee. Just outside the deli we go to is one of these checkpoints and as we walked in we saw the police talking a glazier whose truck was being inspected. As this was going on a much larger truck from an electrical supply company rolls by unaccosted. "Yeah, check out the glass cutter and let the electrician through," I joked.

As we're leaving the deli the cops were questioning the driver of a truck full of Tropicana orange juice as a 3,000-gallon petroleum tanker rolled past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home