Anonymous: Huffing the Junk
I've read this thing four times now, and each time my headache gets progressively worse
Anonymous said...
Thank god somebody gets it!
Seeing the Red Sox trash invade Camden Yards (a group far, far worse than the Yanquis), and even as Baltimore wins the season series, these guys go on and on and on about the magnitude of their own suffering.
If I’m reading this correctly, Anonymous takes issue with people who complain about losing while they are losing. Have I read that correctly?
Sorry, did a 12-year-old create a phantom home run ball in your series?
No.
Did you lose because of an umpire's lousy call?
Of f the top of my head is Larry Barnett’s non-call of interference on Ed Armbrister, who after dropping a bunt took one step in front of home plate and than stood still while Fisk had to fight his way through to field and throw. Then there was Chuckie’s phantom tag on Offy in ’99.
Did one of your own fans affect the outcome?
Yeah, Tom Yawkey, the Sox biggest fan for 40 years, who passed on Robinson, Mays and Jethroe. How ‘bout you? You gotta fan done fucked your shit up like that? Yawkey makes Bartman look like a half-stepping punk-ass bitch. And if Alex Gonzalez doesn’t channel Dr. Strangeglove, Bartman’s just another nerd in a turtleneck. Are you a Cubs fan or an Orioles fan? I have no time for people who claim to be fans of two teams. It’s one thing to be an Angels fan and root for the Dodgers or be a Sox fan and root for the Gi’nts, but you can’t be a “fan” of two teams.
No to all.
Well, one no, two yesses.
Every single Sox meltdown has been caused, finally, by a Red Sox--talking Johnny Pesky on down.
See above
Enough already.
My thoughts exactly.
Quit being victims. Baltimore has sucked for seven years, and you guys still haven't been able to dislodge the Yanks from first place. The window is closing, but y'all will no doubt continue to whine.
First you deride me by saying the Sox are entirely responsible for their own demise, then you tell me I should stop being a victim. Huh?
By my reckoning Baltimore has been sucking for longer than 7 years. Sure, you won the division in ’97, but from ’84 to ‘03 you’re 35 games under .500, while the Sox have been 189 over.
If the window of the Orioles’ craptitude is in fact closing, wouldn’t it makes sense for Boston fans to “whine.”
And who the fuck is whining? “Ooooh… twelve-year-olds and shitty umps and fans…” Boo-fuckity-who, Gilligan.
Is it any wonder this was posted anonymously?
Anonymous said...
Thank god somebody gets it!
Seeing the Red Sox trash invade Camden Yards (a group far, far worse than the Yanquis), and even as Baltimore wins the season series, these guys go on and on and on about the magnitude of their own suffering.
If I’m reading this correctly, Anonymous takes issue with people who complain about losing while they are losing. Have I read that correctly?
Sorry, did a 12-year-old create a phantom home run ball in your series?
No.
Did you lose because of an umpire's lousy call?
Of f the top of my head is Larry Barnett’s non-call of interference on Ed Armbrister, who after dropping a bunt took one step in front of home plate and than stood still while Fisk had to fight his way through to field and throw. Then there was Chuckie’s phantom tag on Offy in ’99.
Did one of your own fans affect the outcome?
Yeah, Tom Yawkey, the Sox biggest fan for 40 years, who passed on Robinson, Mays and Jethroe. How ‘bout you? You gotta fan done fucked your shit up like that? Yawkey makes Bartman look like a half-stepping punk-ass bitch. And if Alex Gonzalez doesn’t channel Dr. Strangeglove, Bartman’s just another nerd in a turtleneck. Are you a Cubs fan or an Orioles fan? I have no time for people who claim to be fans of two teams. It’s one thing to be an Angels fan and root for the Dodgers or be a Sox fan and root for the Gi’nts, but you can’t be a “fan” of two teams.
No to all.
Well, one no, two yesses.
Every single Sox meltdown has been caused, finally, by a Red Sox--talking Johnny Pesky on down.
See above
Enough already.
My thoughts exactly.
Quit being victims. Baltimore has sucked for seven years, and you guys still haven't been able to dislodge the Yanks from first place. The window is closing, but y'all will no doubt continue to whine.
First you deride me by saying the Sox are entirely responsible for their own demise, then you tell me I should stop being a victim. Huh?
By my reckoning Baltimore has been sucking for longer than 7 years. Sure, you won the division in ’97, but from ’84 to ‘03 you’re 35 games under .500, while the Sox have been 189 over.
If the window of the Orioles’ craptitude is in fact closing, wouldn’t it makes sense for Boston fans to “whine.”
And who the fuck is whining? “Ooooh… twelve-year-olds and shitty umps and fans…” Boo-fuckity-who, Gilligan.
Is it any wonder this was posted anonymously?
8 Comments:
You tell him, anonymous!
(alright, I didn't get it either).
Offy? Oh, please...
One down, three to go.
Are you suggesting Offy was out?
I'm suggesting that a grown man calling another grown man "Offy" is really pathetic.
well, i think that tagging someone out when you're 6 feet away from him, a feat unmatched in baseball history, shows clearly why chuckie, not derek, should be the yankees all time mr. october
lisa
"Offy."
In stark contrast to the elegance and dignity of calling a grown man "Winnie."
Winnie is as pathetic as Offy, which is why I've never called a grown man Winnie. Two wrongs don't make a right.
I think J-Dub and D-Mac are about as pathetic as I get.
I'm anonymous because Bugmenot won't let me make an entry here, and I refuse to sign up for blogger.
It's still your own damn fault. 'Cause by your players and your management.
By my reckoning Baltimore has been sucking for longer than 7 years. Sure, you won the division in ’97, but from ’84 to ‘03 you’re 35 games under .500, while the Sox have been 189 over.Yeah, three owners--EBW, who gutted the farm system and ended the Oriole way; some Wall Street guy, who took profits from the Yard and used 'em to support his faltering empire before going broke and losing the team to... Angelos.
We also made that crappy trade of Schilling, Harnisch and Finley for Glenn Davis. We gave up Eddie Murray for nothing. We signed Albert Belle.
Despite all this, we have as many series titles as do you in that span, only one fewer pennant, '89 to remember, and what might have been a nice finish this year had our top four outfielders not gone on the DL by August.
Fans still came out in record numbers. Will again.
Heck, you want history? Major League baseball owes much to Baltimore, but for 50 years we were dissed, following some shenanigans with now-illegal syndicate ownership (I don't recall a "Boston" chop) that resulted in all of Baltimore's hall-of-famers going to the Giants, while the remnants of the team went, finally, to the Yankees.
Even as a minor-league squad in the '20s, we outdrew the Fenway "faithful."
But we don't complain about it. We don't dominate the national press with our sorrow, leading to headline coverage of our Yankees "rivalry" on nights when Barry Bonds hits his 700th homerun, thus causing the entire planet to root against us.
Enjoy the remaining four games of your season.
(I can't believe this)
Paul (why not Paul?),
I don't, as a rule, lean on outside forces as the excuse for the Sox' demise. I only mention Armbrister and Offerman because you posed a question. But if we accept for a moment the idea that "Jeffrey Maier" is a legitiamte reason to excuse your team from culpability, that still only covers one season in 21 years.
Let's not play the "Crappy Owner" game. You can't win. Beyond being a racist jackhole, Yawkey constructed the charter of the team so that for years the Red Sox primary purpose as a business entity was to finance and maintain a FUCKING TREE SANCTUARY IN SOUTH CAROLINA. And today Katie Fucking Couric is the first lady of Red Sox Nation. Christ on a bike.
And do you wanna talk shitty trades? Really? Where'd ya' get Schilling from? We got 39 wins (and the right to get ass-whupped by a far superior Oakland team) out of Boddicker. Thanks, really. No, I mean it. Remember Bagwell for Larry Anderson? Cecil Cooper for Bernie Carbo and George Scott. Danny Cater for Sparky Lyle? Within 3 years of winning the 1918 WS, Boston's four winningest pitchers (Babe Ruth, Carl Mays, Joe Bush and Sam Jones, who accounted for 65 of the teams 75 wins that season) were wearing pinstripes.
Players for nothing? How about Carlton Fisk being granted free agency because no one could be bothered to put his contract in the mail? And let's not forget Roger "Twilight" Clemens. Thank God we let Boggs walk before he won two GG, went to four more ASG and continued to bat .300+ for 7 more years.
1989? Is your name Bruce Bullington?
"Heck, you want history?"
No, Bruce, I didn't ask for history. But if you'd like some, search Amazon or google for the two franchises and see which hits more.
Since you've gotten up off the porch and started running with the big dogs in 1954, Boston has outdrawn Baltimore despite zero championships and a ballpark that on average seats 12,000 fewer people.
"But we don't complain about it."Um, Bruce, that's all you've done here, is complain.
"We don't dominate the national press with our sorrow."What sorrow? Jeez, if your WS drought were a human, it'd be drinking it's first legal beer. Mine would be dead.
"(C)ausing the entire planet to root against us."I think I may have figured out why people in Baltimore and Anaheim and Chicago hate my brethren so vehemently. We're everywhere. When I lived in SF I'd go over to the Coliseum and Sox fans would be about 50% of the crowd. I've listened to away games on the radio and been confused by the cheering.
Why are we everywhere? Because when you grow up in greater Boston you are wooed by the grandeur of Fenway and the tittilation of all the near misses and the absence of anything else to do. I have this theory that baseball fandom is more deeply tied to geography than the other sports. In 2003 the Sox drew 2.7 million to the ballpark in comparison to the 1.8 drawn by the Celtics, Bruins and Patriots. Then, when you're old enough, you decide to get out, move somewhere, anywhere. But you can't shake the addiction.
And Sox fandom can't be dismissed as bandwagon hopping. It may seem a little trendy these days, but nobody's in it for the glory. The world’s full of assholes rooting for the Yankees, Lakers and Duke. They're easy to ignore, because you know it means nothing to them and they almost never show up at games. If you’re rooting for the Sox you’re either a glutton or a native New Englander.
Finally, I think what has turned people against the Nation more than anything can be summed up in two words: Ben Affleck
Bruce, I dig the Orioles as much as I can dig an intra-divisional foe. I still miss the old logo, pre-perm Weaver, the man responsible for one of my favortie lines, “Relax, kid, we do this every day.” When Neel was asking for nominations for the greatest line ups of all time I mentioned the ’71 O’s, asking “Does anyone wanna talk about the fact that Frank fucking Robinson was the FOURTH outfielder on this team?”
The fact is, I’m a little cranky today.
C’m’ere, Bruce, gimmee a hug…
Post a Comment
<< Home